You are in the process of relocation. you have done all the research you can to locate the most suitable moving company and you have even followed professional instructions and have completed packing your goods like a pro. Now the moving day has arrived and even the truck has arrived at your front door. It is time to load. Getting the shivers? Not when you go through these tips for loading and unloading your truck:
- After you have completed packing, the first thing you need to do is to walk round the house and keep the similar sized boxes together. This makes loading faster.
- Load the heaviest items first. Items like oven, cooking range, washing machine, refrigerator, dishwasher etc are loaded first. Basically, any item which takes two or more people to move are called ‘heavy’ here. These items should be kept at the wall furthest away, close to the cab. All items must be kept in the upright position.
- The moving truck must be loaded with equal weight on either side.
- Use furniture padding (available on rent) to protect furniture legs, corners and surfaces.
- Your next items to load are the long and big items like headboards, mirrors, mattresses, etc. Sofas and table tops also fall in this category. These items should be loaded so that they stay upright against the longer walls of the truck. This will help you save some space.
- Bed frames should be dissembled and taped together. This should be done for other long items like skis and poles.
Tips For Packing
- Carpets, rugs must be rolled and taped together. These can be placed at the center of the truck floor.
- During loading place the heaviest boxes on top of the appliances. Then smaller boxes can be stacked one on top of the other.
- Make sure that all empty spaces like beneath the tables, desks and cabinets must be properly filled with blankets, padding and linen. This will prevent your goods being tossed around during journey.
- Amongst all the boxes which you stack, keep the lightest boxes on top. This will help you unload faster.
- All fragile items and items with odd shapes must be loaded last.
- The thumb rule of loading a truck is that you must load the ‘most essential’ boxes last. For instance, boxes containing your bed linen, your immediate change of clothes, bare minimum kitchen utensils and your bathroom contents need to be loaded last, as these are items which you should unload first. Remember, your first night at your new home, will demand use of these items.
- During unloading, follow the same schedule as you did while loading. In fact, unloading becomes much simpler if you have loaded properly in the first place. For instance, if you have marked the bedroom moving boxes with blue sticker, children’s room with yellow stickers, when you unload, the individually sticker boxes can immediately be taken to the appropriate rooms.